November 3


Toxic For Dogs – Lots Of The Foods We Eat Are Dangerous For Dogs

We consider our dogs to be members of the family, but that doesn't mean that can eat the same food. Some of the foods that we enjoy can be harmful to our dogs so care should be taken when feeding leftovers or when we are sharing something we consider to be a treat.

[adrotate group="8"]


Do not give your dog chocolate or anything containing chocolate. Even white chocolate. 

The first symptoms to appear are vomiting and diarrhoea.

Chocolate can also cause more serious problems including arrhythmia and seizures.

As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the worse it is.

Chocolate contains a theobromine and this can be poisonous for dogs. 

coffee, tea and other caffeinated products


Caffeine can be fatal for dogs. Do not give your dog coffee, tea or any other product which contains caffeine.

Watch out how you dispose of coffee beans and tea bags.

[adrotate group="6"]



Alcohol causes intoxication in dogs just as it does in humans. The difference is that it takes a lot less to have the same effect.

The smaller the dog, the more dangerous it can be.

Never intentionally give your dog alcohol and , if your dog is around, take care where you leave your glass. Remember, dogs are scavengers.

Alcohol can cause disorientation, vomiting, high temperatures and panting.

Alcohol can cause death.

Your dog should be monitored by a vet until he recovers.

grapes and Raisins

Owners sometimes offer their dog grapes as a sweet treat. Try something else. 

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.

Just a few can make him  sick.

Symptoms include vomiting and sluggishness.

Take your dog to a vet as soon as possible

[adrotate group="6"]

raw bread dough

For dogs, the problem with bread dough is the yeast. This can rise inside the stomach causing gas problem and bloat.

The yeast also produces ethanol as a by-product which can make intoxicate your dog and cause the same problems as alcohol.

cooked bones

Giving your dog a bone seems a natural thing to do.

The problem is that cooked bones splinter and can become lodged in your dog's digestive system.

[adrotate group="6"]


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in candy and gum. It can also be found in some brands of toothpaste, some baked goods and a range of other products. Check the food labelling carefully. 

In dogs it can cause a drop in blood sugar levels and even liver damage.

If you think your dog may have eaten foods containing Xylitol call your vet.

Symptoms, which can persist for hours, include a lack of coordination, vomiting and lethargy.

onions and garlic

Do not feed your dog onions or garlic in any form - including dried or powdered.

Onions are members of the allium family.

They can damage your dog's red blood cells and cause anaemia.

[adrotate group="6"]

milk and dairy products

Dairy products and cause diarrhoea and digestive problems.

Food allergies caused by dairy products can make your dog itchy.

Stick to water as your dog's beverage of choice. 

macadamia nuts

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are not suitable for dogs and neither are products which contain macadamia nuts.

Just a few can make him sick.

Symptoms include high temperature, vomiting, tremors and depression. If he has eaten a few nuts,he will normally recover within 24 to 48 hours.

If he has eaten a larger quantity, call your vet.

Toxic For Dogs - Lots Of The Foods We Eat Are Dangerous For Dogs
Article Name
Toxic For Dogs - Lots Of The Foods We Eat Are Dangerous For Dogs
Some of the foods we eat and many of the medicines we take are toxic for dogs.
Publisher Name
Dogs Are My Universe
Publisher Logo

About the author 


{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}